The FUTURE program encourages UC Davis postdoctoral scholars and graduate students in both the Self-Directed and Certificate tracks to explore a variety of career and professional development opportunities. Awards of up to $500 will be provided through the Career Exploration Fund to cover full or partial expenses for participation in these types of opportunities. To expand the reach of this program and benefit the broader community, participants must agree to share their experience. This may be done in a variety of formats including writing a summary or review of the activity, providing a video, or blogging. These experiences will be shared on the Career Explorers Network.
FUTURE Career Exploration Funds are awarded on a rolling basis and submission of an application form and accompanying budget is required.
Approved Uses For Funds:
- Participation in a professional development or career exploration activity: course, workshop, bootcamp, webinar, etc.
- Hosting an outside speaker(s) to talk about careers as part of a panel discussion or workshop at UC Davis. This opportunity would also provide professional development experience for those organizing the event.
- Conduct and film or audio record an informational interview to be added to our career exploration library.
- Must be a UC Davis graduate student or postdoctoral scholar FUTURE participant who is in the Certificate track and has completed the 9-week training workshop series, or who was in the Self-Directed track, and has completed the one-day Career Gear Up professional development training workshop.
- Funds are limited to the actual cost of the activity, up to $500.
- Activities must be career or professional development related, and must include more than general networking.
- Funds are not allowed to be used for travel to or participation in academic research conferences.
- Funds may be used for coach-class travel, accommodations and ground transportation for either the participant or invited speaker(s).
- Funds may be used for workshop operational expenses including venue reservations, photocopies, refreshments (excluding alcoholic beverages).
- By accepting Career Exploration Funds, participants agree to share their experience with the Career Explorers Network by providing a written summary or audio or video recording and submitting these materials within 3 months of completing the activity.
- Participants must pay upfront, and will then receive reimbursement upon turning in the appropriate materials (receipts, agenda, confirmation letters etc.).