You are here
Applications are now closed!
Participants in FUTURE will engage in the following activities:
- Prepare an individual development plan (IDP)
- Attend a series of nine professional development workshops (eight 2-hour weekly workshops, and one 3-hour workshop)
- Participate in career exploration activities
- Complete an internship or externship experience(s)
- Receive a Professional Development Certificate upon completion of all program requirements, including internship/externship reports and program evaluations
Participants must attend the professional development workshop series during the 2018 winter quarter, but the remaining requirements of the certificate can be completed at any time during the postdoctoral term of employment or the graduate degree program. For those who elect to do an internship (vs externships) after the postdoctoral term or graduate program, the internship requirement must be completed within six months of the end of the UCD postdoctoral position or graduate degree program to be eligible for the Professional Development Certificate.
Participants will be members of the Career Explorers Network which will include current and former FUTURE participants and will be eligible to apply to our FUTURE Career Exploration Fund to offset expenses related to career exploration activities.
Applicants selected for the Certificate track will be notified in early-December 2017 and will begin the program in early January 2018.
Minimum: 2 quarters; Maximum: to end of postdoc position or graduation from degree program
FUTURE is open to all UC Davis postdocs and graduate students engaged in biomedical research, which we define broadly as any research that is related to the advancement of health. To participate in the FUTURE program, please submit an application below. This process should take no more than 15 minutes. Participants in the FUTURE program are expected to attend all the professional development workshops in Winter quarter. Applicants selected for the FUTURE program will be notified in early-December 2017 and will begin the program in early January 2018.
- UC Davis Postdoctoral scholar (title code 3252, 3253, or 3254) with a PhD in science and/or pursuing postdoctoral research in health related research; or a UC Davis PhD graduate student conducting health related research.
- Ability to attend all weekly professional development workshops in Winter quarter (January-March, 2018); workshops will be held on the Davis campus.
- Willingness to participate in evaluation (primarily through surveys) of the FUTURE program.
Professional Development Workshop Dates (attendance required; All sessions are held on the Davis campus):
- Workshop 1 - Program Orientation - Jan 9, 2018, 9:30-11:30a
- Workshop 2 - Career Assessment - Jan 16, 2018, 9:30-11:30a
- Workshop 3 - Individualized Development Plan: Part 1 (Goal Setting) - Jan 23, 2018, 9:30-11:30a
- Workshop 4 - Individualized Development Plan: Part 2 (Detailed Plan) - Jan 30, 2018, 9:30-11:30a
- Workshop 5 - Job Search and Resume Skills - Feb 6, 2018, 9:30-11:30a
- Workshop 6 - Interview and Negotiation Skills - Feb 13, 2018, 9:30-11:30a
- Workshop 7 - MBTI, Communication - Feb 20, 2018, 9:30-11:30a
- Workshop 8 - Succeeding as a Professional - Feb 27, 2018, 9:30-11:30a
- Workshop 9 - Topic TBD - Mar 6, 2018, 9:30-11:30a
- Workshop 10 - Taking the Next Step - Mar 13, 2018, 9:30-11:30a