You are here
FUTURE Program Details
FUTURE Program Information
Applications are currently on pause for 2021-22. Interest Form 2022
Benefits of Participation
- Tools and skills to explore and prepare for the broad range of careers available to PhD scientists
- Connections to our FUTURE Partner Network, a pool of PhD professionals working in a variety of careers
- Priority access to FUTURE program career exploration activities and events
- Career exploration support from our FUTURE team of PhD professionals – we’ve been where you are!
- Support from the FUTURE Peer Network, which includes current and former FUTURE participants comprising a community of graduate students and postdocs exploring careers
- Eligibility to apply to the FUTURE Career Exploration Fund to offset expenses related to career and professional development activities. This fund is open to participants who have completed all requirements for the Professional Development Certificate.
Participants in FUTURE will engage in the following activities:
- Prepare a career focused individual development plan (IDP)
- Attend a series of ten 2-hour career exploration workshops
- Practice skills for exploring careers and pursuing career positions
- Engage with our partner network of 100+ supportive PhD career professionals
- If appropriate and feasible, pursue an internship or externship experience(s)
- Receive a Professional Development Certificate upon completion of all program requirements
The FUTURE workshop series is also offered as a 1-unit course for graduate students who wish to receive course credit for their participation. FUTURE participants will attend the career exploration workshop series during a designated quarter, but are considered members of the FUTURE program throughout their postdoctoral term of employment or their graduate degree program. FUTURE program members will continue to have access to the FUTURE Peer Network and the FUTURE Partner Network.
FUTURE Workshop Series
Remote Course Structure (updated for 2020-2021)
Classes will be held on Zoom, all coursework will be submitted on Canvas. The class is taught synchronously, and attendance is required (classes won’t be recorded). There are no exams. Participants can expect 2-3 hours of work outside of class each week. Weekly office hours and by appointment. Optional: register for 1 unit course credit, Pass/No-Pass. Instructor: Daniel Moglen, Ph.D. (pronouns: he/him/his) - email@example.com
- Career Assessment
- Individualized Development Plan
- Networking and Mentorship
- Job Search and Resume Skills
- Interview and Negotiation Skills
- Communication Skills
- Succeeding as a Professional
- Advice from PhD Professionals
Schedule and Location
Fall Quarter (Sacramento campus) - Not accepting applications for Fall 2021
Winter Quarter (Davis campus) - On Pause (Check back for program status)
Spring Quarter (Davis campus) - On Pause (Check back for program status)
PLEASE NOTE: The workshop series will only be offered in quarters/sessions for which we have a sufficient number of applicants. If you apply to the FUTURE program in a quarter/session when there are not enough participants to conduct the workshop series, you will be offered enrollment in the next quarter available or the additional session.
FUTURE is open to all UC Davis postdocs and graduate students engaged in research that is related to the advancement of health. Participants in the FUTURE program are expected to attend all the professional development workshops in the quarter of enrollment.
- UC Davis Postdoctoral scholar (title code 3252, 3253, or 3254) with a PhD in science and/or pursuing postdoctoral health related research; or a UC Davis PhD graduate student conducting health related research.
- Ability to attend all weekly career exploration workshops in the quarter of enrollment.
- Willingness to participate in evaluation (primarily through surveys) of the FUTURE program.
Apply to the FUTURE Program
To participate in the FUTURE program, please submit an application below. Applicants will be notified of acceptance to the program prior to the quarter's start.