Resources for your Career Exploration
Below are some resource links to get you started on your career exploration journey.
Blog Posts or Articles
- What’s Your Favorite Alt-Ac Resource?
- A Blog from GradHacker and MATRIX: Going Alt-Ac: How to Begin
- Why you need to start thinking about a career outside academia – today!
- Finding Your Path
- PhDs at Work: an online space for this shared learning and for making new connections
- AAAS: Science Careers
More Resource Links
Statement from the FUTURE Program on Racial Trauma
We want to acknowledge the abhorrent and tragic recent events concerning the brutal killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and Breonna Taylor, which represent the most recent blatant displays of systemic racism in a long history of such in this country. This is not OK and it has never been OK.
We acknowledge and see the traumatic impact of such events on our Black Communities. We stand with our Black colleagues, friends, and community members as we process our collective grief and anger.
In our workshops, we have said repeatedly that career exploration is an embodied experience and it's absolutely the case that events that occur outside the PhD/Postdoc experience impact us and need to be taken into consideration. As such we welcome and support considering the ways intersecting identities (race, ethnicity, gender expression, ability, class, immigration status, age, etc.) shape your career goals and your experience of your career journey.
We want to support your journey, through whatever paths it winds. Please find below statements of support and resources you may find helpful.
Anti- Racism Education Resources
- Message from Chancellor May
- Message from the School of Medicine
- Resources for Racial Trauma - UC Davis office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Super Comprehensive Resource List (with categorized reading lists)
- Anti-Racism Resources - Compilation from the NYT, The Cut, and others
- Anti-Racism Resources for White People
- Further Resources for White and Non-Black POC
- White Woman's Guide to Meaningful Change
- And a Guide for Guys too!
- What White People Can Do for Racial Justice
- Unraveling Whiteness - A Call for More Courage
- 5 Steps Latinos Can Take to Combat Anti-Blackness
- SURJ Sacramento - Reading List
- 5 Racist Anti-Racism Responses “Good” white women give to viral posts
- 'When They See Us’ Movie - with Learning Companion for Students, Teachers and Everyone Who Wants to Learn
- Anti-Racism Reading List
- Bookshop.org - Dear White People
- For younger readers - Coretta Scott King Award Winners
- Anti-racism books - drawing by Jane Mount